Sunday, June 9, 2019

Paranormal Romance wasted potential?






I finished The Savior by J.R Ward in April. I'm a BDB fan so I try to stay up to date on the Caldwell scene. This is one of the series I picked up when I was younger, had more time and was really into paranormal romance novels. I really enjoyed series like Immortals after dark, Dark-hunters, and Lords of the Underworld. Paranormal Romances almost always focus mainly on the sex and romance plots which makes sense I suppose. However, some of them have such rich lore and worldbuilding I feel like it's a waste and I end up so disappointed. The plot and world it functions in always ends up submitting to the romance plot.

I did not enjoy The Savior. It was lacklustre and very fluffy. I still enjoyed visiting the world of BDB and the characters. However, it felt very cheesy, lots of new characters and subplots coming in and not for the sake of the story but for the sake of adding more characters and romance plots. The characters and stories just seem recycled.

Immortals After Dark especially has some cool worldbuilding and a bigger story around the romance plot. It was heading to something apocalyptic. However, somewhere down the line, it jumped from paranormal romance to sci-fi with the introduction of new characters...from another planet.

Strong and mysterious characters like Nix  (IAD) and Lassiter (BDB) and Jaden (Dark-hunters) who are intriguing end up getting the short end of the stick because they too will have to submit to the romance angle.

It's such a waste because I feel invested in the story and the characters (esp. Lassiter and Jaden). I want them to get their HEA, not something rushed. I want them to drive the story and world they exist in. Maybe I'm just angry because my favourite characters are being neglected and watered down or maybe I've read too many PR novels and am tired of the same formula. Let me know what you think?

1 comment:

  1. I've noticed that I do get tired of the same formula in books despite the topic.

    ReplyDelete

Thanx for reading!
what are your thoughts?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...