Friday, December 23, 2011

Review: Born of Night by Sherrilyn Kenyon

In the Ichidian Universe, The League and their ruthless assassins rule all. Expertly trained and highly valued, the League Assassins are the backbone of the government. But not even the League is immune to corruption . . .

Command Assassin Nykyrian Quikiades once turned his back on the League—and has been hunted by them ever since. Though many have tried, none can kill him or stop him from completing his current mission: to protect Kiara Zamir, a woman whose father’s political alliance has made her a target.  
As her world becomes even deadlier, Kiara must entrust her life to the same kind of beast who once killed her mother and left her for dead. Old enemies and new threaten them both and the only way they can survive is to overcome their suspicions and learn to trust in the very ones who threaten them the most: each other.

After reading the dark-hunter books I needed more Kenyon,so I decided to check out her League series. At first I wasn't really interested because it was science fiction and I was looking for more paranormal and more of the dark-hunters. But people kept talking about how great her other books are so I had to check them out and The League really is worth it. It's action packed, funny and gruesome.

The  first cover I saw of Born of Night was pink and not very attractive but the new one is better and thank god when I bought the book I got the new one and not the pink one.

Nykyrian has had a really rough life. He was abandoned in an orphanage by his grandmother because he was half andarion half human. He grew up hating his mother and his adoptive father who made his life a living hell. But his redemption shows up in the form of a little dancer named Kiara,who shows him that life isn't as ugly as he sees it.


The other characters are just amazing and I love their names. Dancer Hawk and Darling Cruel. You can't but love their never-ending banter, they act as if they hate each other but they're quite loyal friends. Hawk is always threatening to eat Darling. Before I read Born of Night, I thought it was stupid to name a character Darling but after reading this book I realized the guy makes the name work. I eagerly anticipate their stories.

Then there's Syn , best friend and brother of Nykyrian and a drunk. All the guy ever wanted was to have a normal life I think and he had it all. A wife and a son but then his past came back to bite him in the ass and he lost everything he ever loved. So he found his solace in drinking. It was funny how throughout the book Nyk was always trying to get Syn to drink orange juice and how Syn was almost always drunk .

I couldn't help but look for things to link Born of Nigh to the dark-hunter series. I was always reading Kyrian instead of Nykyrian and Thinking of Sin from DH. I'm not saying Dark-Hunter and The League are the same ,they're not obviously. Dark-hunter has more of a fate/destiny theme while the league has a justice kind of theme (my opinion).

The book has a happy ending, yeah Nykyrian almost died and has kind of a limp now. But he also has a little dancer for a wife and a daughter and a son. And he found out he's family didn't really abandon him, they really did love him and never forgot him .

I give this book 4 stars and I'm happy I bought it because it enables me to visit the Ichidian Universe whenever I want.

<- this is the old cover. See it's PINK!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanx for reading!
what are your thoughts?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...